Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pucker Up

If you've never spent an afternoon reading a book while ignoring your children and housework, then you are missing out on one of the best ways to spend an afternoon. I was spending one such glorious afternoon today. After three hours of reading, I was down to the final three pages of my book Mitch Albom's Have a Little Faith. I am at the point where Mitch is delivering the eulogy at his rabbi's funeral, and I have tears streaming down my face. I am completely involved in this book, so it takes awhile for my brain to register a peculiar sound. The sound seems out of place. It is the sound of water. Water being swooshed. Like someone is violently cleaning the toilet. And wait a second. Only Deacon and I are downstairs. I realize Deacon must be using the toilet brush to clean the toilet. A good mom would have rushed to the mess, but I only had three pages left, so I decided to pretend I didn't hear anything. I continue reading and with two pages left, Deacon wanders into the living room, toilet brush in hand, toilet water dripping on the carpet. Now even a book-obsessed mother like myself would normally jump up to rescue the living room floor, but I pause. I notice how cute Deacon looks holding the toilet brush upright, and I'm thinking, he is such a little Davis. One and a half and already cleaning the toilet. My thirty second reverie is broken by Deacon's next action. He looks over at the toilet brush, sticks out his tongue, and gives it a lick.

Good thing I have a meeting tonight, and Chris is putting the kids to sleep. Chris can give out the goodnight kisses tonight.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

Yuck, thanks for the warning! Too late!

Stephanie said...

LOL..I love it! ( :

mom said...

I'm sad your book kept you from taking a picture.

Brigette said...

Gross! Of course, that kind of behavior is to be expected from little boys. Are you on good reads? I want a list of all the good books that you read.

Counter