Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All I Want For Christmas Is Summer


One day into winter, and I am counting down the days until it's over. I am not a winter person. Not only do I hate the darkness, the coldness, the driving in snow, but I also hate winter parenting.

Me parenting in the summer: "Good morning, children. Here is a bottle of sunscreen, a box of popsicles, and the backyard. I will see you at bedtime."

This is how I parented this morning. Parker announces, "Mom, its good snowball snow!" I find three coats, two pairs of boots (the third is missing), socks, mittens, and hats. I begin dressing each child. McKay whines at me that she doesn't like wearing the hood on her coat because it makes it difficult to talk and that her gloves don't match. Deacon whines at me because I'm not getting him dressed fast enough. I yell, "Everyone stop whining! I can't handle it!" I shove all the kids out the door. They play for approximately five minutes. Then I hear a banging on the back door. In tramps three snowy, wet children who leave snow puddles around a five foot radius of carpet and dump a load of wet laundry on the ground. "We're cold. Can we have hot chocolate?" Five minutes later hot chocolate stained shirts are added to the laundry pile. "Now what are we going to do today, Mom?"

Summer please come early this year.

4 comments:

mom said...

It brings back memories. Notice that I didnt' say pleasant memories.

Shirley said...

I'm with you on that one. I keep asking Steve to apply for a job in ARIZONA! Just until our kids are old enough to get their own snow clothes on and go snow boarding or something... all day. :) Winter is MUCH harder with kids. Hope you make it! ;)

GG said...

Yes, indeed, I highly recommend Arizona! Our low so far this year has been about 32 with no precipitation:) Sadly, to us that seems freezing!!!
And summer? When the heat is hard to bear even when playing in the water it is really only about two months or shorter.

GG said...

Maybe you should visit! I'm almost done cleaning up the 'baby's room' so there would be room for everyone as soon as next week!!! :)

Counter