Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chewie

Today I had a goal--transfer Chewie from stinky-smelling half-bear dog to a presentable Airedale. And I had a plan--take Chewie to U Do Doggie Bath and clip and wash him myself during Chris's lunch break. The children could happily play with Chris. Brilliant. Usually we have Chewie professionally groomed, but the lure of $16 compared to $60 called to me. I knew I could do it.

Reality--$60 is not that much to pay for sanity.

Halfway through giving Chewie the worst haircut known to dogkind, Chris showed up, dropping off the kids. He had to get back to work, and I had seriously underestimated the amount of time it would take to groom a dog. So I clippered, scissored, and bathed that stinky dog with McKay and Deacon in tow. Now Deacon was stinky himself, but as I had forgotten diaper and wipes, he had to remain in his stink. So he took it upon himself to smell a little better. He kept getting in the dog bath and trying to rinse himself. I kept pulling him out. Finally I gave up. Pretty soon Chewie and Deacon were bathing together in the doggie tub. Deacon washing Chewie and playing in his dog hair.

Sometimes when the situation is just too disgusting, I have to turn off my gag reflex, and just go with it. Which is what I did. At least one of them was getting clean.

Fast-forward a hellacious two hours later, and Chewie was done. This is how Chewie looks when he's been professionally groomed. (I know it's an old picture. I had to search to find one.)


This is how Chewie looks after I groomed him.

Go ahead and laugh. I know I did.

12 comments:

hardlycreative said...

he is so sad looking.

Sarah said...

But the Money you saved..... I would have tried it myself too!!!

mom said...

I did laugh...for almost 5 minutes. He looks so embarassed. Let it grow out before you take him on a walk....

Christopher said...

I am taking him in next week to "fix it". Poor boy!

Emily said...

I laughed very hard. Even Gideon laughed (but probably because I was laughing). He is now repeating "woof" for the 3,000th time.

Riki said...

I almost peed my pants laughing so hard!

mom said...

Chris, this haircut may be too short to fix!

Brigette said...

Oh, that is so great. Thanks for the boost.

Holly said...

What an experience! But at least he's clean!

Minister of Chainsaws said...

I feel so much better after such a good chuckle. Thanks, Kodie. You're blog is always so great.

Jil said...

That is fantastic! I'm literally tearing up from laughing so hard. I had to minimize the window to keep it together long enough to make this comment.

Jenna said...

I had to comment because a couple of weeks ago, Eric and I decided to save the money and do it ourselves as well. Except that we used our own hair cutting shears. After an hour, we had more hair than Sampson and we had to put a shirt on him to cover up the bald spots! I will never do it again! LOL.

Counter