Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Year's Resolution

So it took me three weeks into January, but I have finally set a New Year's Resolution. Ever the overachiever I have one goal--to be a little less frumpy. As this is the last year left of my twenties, I have decided to try and look like I still have some of my youth left. So out with the old tired mom look and in with the new tired mom, trying not to look like a tired mom look.

This resolution began last night, when I looked at myself in the mirror wearing my laundry day clothes, and thought, "I look hideous." I immediately went downstairs, made a haircut appointment for ASAP, and left Chris with the kids. When I got to the salon, the stylist asked, "What do you want me to do?" I replied, "Make me look less frumpy." She graciously did not respond, "Perhaps you shouldn't leave the house with baby food smeared across your chest." (I discovered the sweet potato stain much later.) Instead she cut my hair into a less frumpy do. That was step one.

Step two occurred this morning. I was hanging up clean laundry, when I decided to toss out a shirt. This shirt I have owned for three years, acquiring it hand-me down from my sister who acquired it hand-me down from her roommate. The lace along the bottom had ripped in five places (I counted). Now my reasoning for continually wearing this tattered shirt was that lace is already full of holes, so no one would notice five more. But in my effort to not leave the house looking homeless any more, I tossed the shirt! At first I was going to put it in the D.I. box, but then I realized D.I. didn't really want it, so I cut it up into rags.

Step three. I let McKay paint my toenails this morning. I'm not sure if it helped.

Alright, well my resolution is now pretty much accomplished, as the only thing left on my to do list was to shave my legs, and I ran out of time this morning. Here are some attempted pictures of my new haircut. I tried taking my own picture while holding a grumpy Deacon who was doing his best to rip more hair out. A truly fabulous experience.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous! Beautiful hair. I think a lot of people would benefit if I made a resolution like that - I feel like a menace to society going outside with my crazy hair, no make up, and ugly sweats. Yikes. ;)

Christopher said...

Wow, my wife is HOT!

Brigette said...

It's hard to comment on a post like this because if you say, Yeah! Way to go! it's like saying, Wow, it's about time. But I never thought you looked frumpy...that may be because we've only seen each other on special occasions where even the children look like they were born with gel and ribbons in their hair, but I guess if it makes you feel happier then WAY TO GO!!!! :)

Jil said...

So I had a few blogs to catch up on, and so I have a few things to say. Way to go on the binkies with McKay, truly inspired thinking on making the trade. I never thought you looked frumpy, but I think it's a fun goal for the year having had thoughts of my own frumpiness. I'm most proud of you being able to throw away clothes. That's something I've never been good at. I still have quite a few things that have seen their day in the sun and just need to go, but instead I put them in a box or drawer because I just can't say goodbye. I can throw Dave's ratty clothes away no problem though.

Counter