Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa


Saturday was our ward's Christmas party. The highlight of the evening was the arrival of Santa at the end of the party. Well, the highlight for Parker anyway. McKay fell asleep waiting in the 45 minute line for Santa. Deacon was screaming because he was tired and hungry. And I was just annoyed to be standing in such a long line.


Now Parker had been asking Santa to bring him a real BYU football helmet. I found BYU football helmets. They were all $100-$200. So I told Parker, "I don't think Santa can find a BYU helmet. Maybe you should ask for something else." To which he replied, "Santa can make it in his toy shop. He's always given me what I want before." Desperate, I spent hours searching ebay and every other place I could think of, all the while trying to convince Parker he wanted something other than a football helmet for Christmas.


Then amazingly I found a brand new plain white football helmet on Amazon and BYU football helmet decals on ebay. I was giddy! I tried explaining my great find to Chris. "I got it for half the price, plus free shipping, plus if I sign up for this Amazon thing I get $30 off--why are you not excited?!?" He got in trouble for not being appropriately enthusiastic at my great deal.


So standing in line with Parker, I was thinking how excited he's going to be on Christmas. "What are you going to ask Santa for?" I asked.

"I don't know," he said, "maybe a skateboard."

"What?!? I thought you wanted a BYU football helmet."

"Yeah, but you told me it cost too much money for Santa."

"Remember Santa can make it in his toy shop."

"You told me he could only make toys that you can find in a store."

"I lied! This is the real Santa. He can do anything!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

He asked Santa for the helmet, but he seemed very unconvinced.

4 comments:

Brigette said...

That's funny. It is kind of tricky "guiding" children on what they want for Christmas, isn't it?

Sarah said...

Just remember you are the one that said he can do anything. The presents and requests will only get bigger and more expensive. Carson wants one of those $200 or $300 dollar trucks that kids can drive. Not getting it. Briana on the other hand wants a pink ball.

Stephanie said...

That is a great blog entry! That is weird you had to wait so long for Santa Claus! What a cute fam!

Anonymous said...

Yup! Porter really wanted one of those driving trucks too Sara (a kid down the street has one) - but no dice there buddy, sorry. We actually told Porter that we talked to Santa and asked him not to bring that because we just didn't have room for it right now. He was okay with that - at least he won't be mopey on Christmas. And I think that's so funny that you had to argue Parker back into wanting the helmet! hahaha that made me laugh. He'll be so surprised. Good job Mom! :)

Counter