Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Lesson in Cleanliness

"Mom, can we clean, too?"

I was cleaning encrusted pee off the floor around my toilet with a toothbrush. Apparently this looked like Disneyland to my children with Davis genetics, so I found a couple of old toothbrushes, put the cleaner on the top shelf, and let them go at it. Then I left to help Parker with his science.

This was my downfall--unsupervised cleaning. After about twenty minutes I went to check on their progress. That's when the smell hit me. The smell of Lysol. A lot of Lysol. And then I stepped in it. Lysol. A lot of Lysol. And then I saw it glistening on the toilet, the sink, the counter, my children, the mirror--everywhere except for the bottle which rested empty on the counter. My children were happily using their toothbrushes to scrub my freshly cleaned bathroom mirror. Only as an added bonus they had abandoned their old toothbrushes in favor of my new one.

I was not pleased.

After stripping off their Lysol-saturated clothing and throwing them into the tub, I grabbed some towels and soaked up my bathroom, then re-cleaned my mirror. We may never have another germ in that bathroom again.

"Alright, McKay did you think it was a good or bad choice to get down the cleaner and saturate the bathroom in it?"

"Bad choice."

"Then you need a consequence. You have to spend the afternoon cleaning the house."

More cleaning. That will teach her.

1 comment:

mom said...

McKay is an unsual combination of cleaning and making a mess. I'm not sure which one is dominant, but it sounds like SHE had a lot of fun.

Counter