Sunday, February 13, 2011

Theme Song

I'm eating my scrambled eggs and bacon, when I notice something. Each of my children are singing their own theme song. Parker is humming the Star Wars theme song. Deacon is singing the theme song to Toy Story, and McKay is singing a song off a Leapfrog DVD. The competing melodies don't seem to bother them. I'm musing over what would be the Davis Family Eats Breakfast theme song, when Deacon finishes his song and crawls across the table. He presses his forehead and nose against mine, and when our eyeballs align inches away he asks, "Was that a great song, mom?"

"Yes, please get off the table."

"Parker, would you sing me a song?" Deacon asks. Parker obliges, and McKay bounces out of her place and begins an interpretive dance throughout the kitchen to the beat of Parker's song.

Parker finishes his song. "Mom," he exclaims, "Did you know that grandma didn't have a TV in her house when she was a little girl? I mean, how did she live?"

Ignoring Parker's obvious TV addiction, I ask McKay, "Where's daddy? I thought you woke him up."

"Well, I tried lifting his eyelids up, but he didn't really move."

Parker butts in, "You have to give him a hug and kiss to wake him up."

"Oh," McKay says, "that's why it didn't work."

At that moment a groggy Chris comes stumbling into the kitchen, just as Parker's proclaiming, "Did you know the book I'm reading was written in the 90s?"

Chris says, "The 90s, huh?"

And then he begins singing, "I just want to live my life like it's the 90's...Like it's a TV show..."

Well, hubby, we've at least got the theme song covered.

2 comments:

mom said...

Another moment in the life of the Cleaver family...except for the dad part. Tell Parker I survived by playing.

Riki said...

What is your theme song?

Counter