Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Homeschooling or Something Like It

Question: How has teaching Parker at home this year been going?
Answer: Great!---as long as you don't mind Toaster Strudel in your bathtub.

Pros:
  • The IDVA (Idaho Virtual Academy) curriculum is far superior to that taught in public school. I have taught in public school, and there is no contest on this one.
  • Going to school in your pajamas. Parker is most definitely not a morning person. I love, love, love not fighting him all morning to get up, get dressed, brush his teeth, etc.
  • No homework! Yet our whole family is way more involved in Parker's education. Tonight Parker and Chris dissected a fish together, identifying all of its body parts. (Chris took one for the team and took the day off work to catch said fish.)
  • I love learning alongside Parker. Parker and I were having a conversation about Dante and Botticelli. "How do you know all this?" Chris asked, amazed. Ha! I may have never saved anything on a flash drive in my entire life, but I know a little something about third grade history.
  • I know exactly how Parker's doing in school.
  • Parker is speaking German. Granted he mostly goes around the house saying, "And what is that? That is dirt." But I'm hoping he branches out eventually.
  • Parker is happier.
Cons:
  • My house is messy. Really messy. Teaching takes a lot of time. So much time that I'm not getting my house cleaned top to bottom each week. Which is why I gave Parker the day off last Friday and cleaned my house. During this cleaning I discovered something in the kids' bathtub. That something was a Toaster Strudel. As I have yet to multi-task breakfast and baths, I'm unsure of how that Toaster Strudel made its way up the stairs and into the tub.
  • Parker teasing his siblings all day.
  • Me yelling at Parker all day to stop teasing his siblings.
  • My time spent calling my sisters and mom, blogging, napping, lying around reading books, and making brownies has (sadly) greatly diminished.
Question: Now that you've written a post about this will you stop talking non-stop about IDVA when I call you on the phone or come visit you?
Answer: No guarantees. Though I'm trying to be less obsessive and find other things to talk about. (Apologies to Brigette, Jenna, Aleisha, and anyone else that I have talked about IDVA for more than an hour straight.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you show Steve (A.K.A. Deacon)the mysterious toaster strudel and ask him how it got there? I had a similar experience once when I found a marshmallow stuck to the bottom of the T.V. stand. Then I remembered a family home evening when Clay was dressed in the whole armor of God and we threw marshmallows at him. There's got to be a "logical" explanation like that for toaster strudel in the bathtub.

Counter