Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

This morning I was getting ready when I heard Parker say, "Deacon do you want to help me make the trail? Here you go. O.k., actually you are eating the trail, and that is not helpful."

I wondered what type of edible trail, Parker was talking about, and I discovered this.




If you can't tell, this is a leprechaun trap, with a cracker trail leading into it. These crackers are supposed to entice the leprechaun into walking up the block stairs into the shoe box where another cracker waits. Then I'm not sure what's supposed to happen next, but I think the leprechaun is supposed to pull the lid shut and sit around waiting for Parker to get home from school, so he can give him a pot of gold.

I can trace the leprechaun trapping back to kindergarten. A girl in Parker's class, Sarah Allison, told Parker that she had caught a leprechaun on St. Patrick's day, and he gave her a pot of gold. Though I tried to explain to Parker that perhaps Sarah was just imagining that event, he wouldn't believe me. So every year on St. Patrick's day he's running around the house looking under couches and such for a leprechaun. But this year he told me he "really, really wants to catch a leprechaun." Consequently, he brought his leprechaun catching technique up a notch. Consequently, his mother had to stop at the grocery store today for a bag of chocolate gold coins.

4 comments:

Cathy Brooksby said...

I love it, I hope he loves the chocolate coins.

mom said...

And soon this will be right up there with the Easter Bunny!

boo face mcjones said...

hmm... i wonder where the trail starts? because if he knows where the leprechaun already is, then couldn't he just grab him from there?

this parker child is quite the engineer, though, isn't he?

Riki said...

He earned the bag of gold coins just by shear ingenuity!

Counter