Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Monumental Day


The above picture is of a garage. Not just any garage, but my garage. And yes, amazingly there is a van parked in it. Yesterday Chris cleaned out enough of the garage that we could park our van inside. Now, you may think haven't they lived in there new house for like two months? Aren't they unpacked YET? The answers are yes and no.

After about the first month of living here, I realized that everything essential to life was basically unpacked and everything left living in the garage was just the accumulated garbage of 7 1/2 years of married life. I had the very good idea of just taking the boxes unopened to the D.I. Then I figured we quite literally wouldn't know what we were missing, and my life would be less cluttered. Anyone who knows my husband realizes that he would never go for this plan in one million years. So I gave up on cleaning out the garage, and he has methodically been going at it one box at a time for the past two months. Now that he has brought out of the boxes such important things as Chewie's doggie backpack and our family's collection of sock puppets, our house truly feels like home. But enough of that on to the monumental day--today.

Today I backed a vehicle out of a garage for the first time in my LIFE! Yes, I grew up in a home with a carport, lived in a home with a carport, and for the first time in 28 years now live with a garage. When I took the kids out to the van this morning, McKay said, "Mommy, the garage is scary." And yes it was. I was a little worried about taking off my side mirror backing up. Chris has told me no less then 417 times, that he believes I'm going to do this, which makes me slightly paranoid. But to be truly honest, my biggest fear is that I will forget I am in a garage and not a carport and back out without opening the garage door. But it was an amazing experience, and I have now successfully driven out of and into a garage all before I turned 30.

7 comments:

Auntie M said...

First I am really liking your blog. You are making me want to change the style of mine.

Second, Kodie my favorite thing about you is that you find enjoyment and amusement in simple things.

Third, I love the DI idea. But I know that christopher would be in the fetal position of years afterwards.

Fourth, the garage can be your friend. No need to wear a coat or shoes!!!

Fifth, I dearly love you. I wish you lived here still.

Christopher said...

I am feeling that I am being portrayed in a slanted view here. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Your life is truly complete! Who would have thought any American could go so long without a garage experience?! ;)

And, geesh, what would you have done without your sock puppets?!!!

Sarah said...

Pure Bliss, maybe someday I can experience the same!!!!!
Congratulations!

Jil said...

Hurray for the blog! Not that I don't live ten minutes away from you now, but it's still fun to read about your day to day!

Congrats on the garage, I didn't know that you've never really used one before. I'm surprised Christopher let the cars in, for a while I thought it might be his man headquaters, like the batcave or something.

GG said...

I so love that you are blogging!!

I totally am with you on that garage thing. It was the same with me when we moved to this house. My fear was less the mirror and more the front and back ends. Since we didn't even have a carport, just the driveway, I was nervous that I would (who knows how! like not getting it into reverse...!?) hit the house leaving a big hole in our abode!

If it is any comfort to you, you get used to it really quick. and I have yet to even brush the car on anything after almost 2 years. (And my mind was eased about closing the door onto the back bumper after I put a mark on the wall to pull up alongside - or a tennis ball from the ceiling is good in front of your windshield)

Sorry, bulbo, but the portrayal seems right on. Including the 417 times. I guess that is how blogs go. I'm sure you won't regret setting up this wonderful site! But even from your view, you must know that you won't be able to help adding on to the 417 or collecting from the boxes. :)

Brigette said...

I love your blog! I said this in an earlier comment, but I'm not sure it was published...
Congrats on everything--it seems like you are achieving quite a few amazing things.

Counter