Saturday, May 14, 2011

Proud Mama Moment

Parker is an eight year old boy. So mostly he does eight year old boy stuff like obsess over Legos and play Little League. I like him to be a boy, but I want him to learn how to be a man, so I try to teach him to work.

This doesn't always work out.

Yesterday I came back from the grocery store. I had a million bags to bring in and put away. Parker is trying to earn money, so I told him, "I'll pay you a quarter if you bring in the groceries."

He ponders this for a second, and then asks, "How much will you pay me if I turn on the TV for Deacon?"

"Are you serious? Nothing. You have to work to make money."

"Well, then I think I'll pass on the quarter and just watch some TV."

That's pretty typical around here.

A few hours after the groceries had all been put away by yours truly, I was sitting with Parker and Chris at a Red Cross Volunteer Recognition event. Parker is the youngest Red Cross Volunteer in the state of Idaho. He spends every Thursday at the Red Cross office with Chris, where he vacuums the floor, retrieves documents from the printer, and eats all the Butterfingers out of the CEO's candy jar.

Parker was honored at the event with a special certificate of appreciation. As Parker stood at the front of the room receiving his award, I felt so proud. I could feel my eyes tearing up. I was surprised at myself. I'm not a crier. (Chris claims I had my tear ducts cauterized when I was three.) What could account for my overwhelming emotion?

I'm just so proud that Parker knows how to use a vacuum.

4 comments:

mom said...

Good for Parker!

Musicofjustin said...

It sounds like you have a fine young man that you are raising! I love to here young people making a difference in the world. If more parents treated there kids like this then I think future generation would be better off then they are now. Anyway, great post keep it up! Following for sure!

Maria Guldager said...

Haha, fantastic! What an awesome boy really:-)

Sarah said...

Its always funner to do work for someone else!!

Counter