Friday, May 27, 2011

Love and Marriage: A Conversation Overheard

"Mom, I'll never get married," McKay declares, sadly.

"Why do you think that? Of course, you will."

"Well, no boy has asked me yet."

"That's because you're five. Five year old boys don't ask girls to marry them."

"Oh," McKay sighs, looking genuinely relieved.

Deacon is listening in on McKay's marriage conversation. "I think I want to marry Gracie," he states, matter-of-factly. Gracie is McKay's good friend.

"Yeah, but do you think Gracie really wants to marry you?" McKay asks.

"Yeah."

"O.K., here's what I'll do, Deacon," McKay says, "On Sunday, I'll ask Gracie at church if she wants to marry you. Wait---first we'll laugh about it, and then I'll ask her."

McKay is quiet, thinking for a second.

"But, Deacon, will you be loyal to Gracie?"

"Yeah."

"Will you treasure her?"

"Yeah."

"O.K., you can marry her."

"Actually, Sis, I changed my mind. I want to marry you."

"Oh, Deacon," McKay laughs, "It doesn't work that way."

2 comments:

Riki said...

Too cute! I love the part where she says "first we will laugh about it.."

mom said...

No,it doesn't work that way... you marry your dog, Tuffy.

Counter