Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dinner at the Davises

Our family is the blending of two great families--the Davis and the Stott. Davises are talkers (particularly my Davis). Stotts love to share a good story. Bring those genetics together, and you have a dinner table of nonstop chatter. Chris decided to implement conversational turn taking at the table in hopes of restoring sanity.

Chris: "Deacon, you have the first turn. What did you do today?"
Deacon: "I fell down, and a laser broke off my arm!"

Chris: "What did you do, Kodie?"
Me: "I played in the snow with the kids. Deacon wanted someone to be the bad guy, so he could throw snowballs at him. I had to be the bad guy. Unfortunately, Deacon couldn't make snowballs himself, so that was my job, too. I handed him a snowball. He said, 'Thank you, Bad Guy.' Then he threw the snowball at me, and the process repeated itself."

Chris: "How was your day, McKay?"
McKay: "First I went to dance class. Then--"
Parker: "Did you know Henry the VIII beheaded two of his wives?"
Chris: "Not your turn!"
Parker: "But it's so disgusting!"
McKay: "Then I went to the library."
Parker: "Deacon's sucking on the salt shaker."
McKay: "Then we went to Costco. Then I played in the snow."

Chris: "My turn. I had a lot of meetings. And each meeting gave me more work."
Deacon laughs hysterically.
Chris: "I'm glad someone finds that funny."

Chris: "Parker?"
Parker: "First, I woke up. And then I went downstairs. Then mom asked me if I wanted a bagel or grapefruit for breakfast, but I wanted a cookie. Then mom said to go upstairs and get in the shower."
Chris: "This is going to take all night."
Me: "Just let him go."
Parker (drones on for a few more minutes): "....then I volunteered at the Red Cross. Then I ate pizza for lunch..."
Chris: "Deacon's salting his neck."

I looked over, and yes, indeed, Deacon had the salt shaker and was generously salting his neck.
Me: "Are you salting your neck, Deacon?"
Deacon laughs and begins salting his ear.

Parker: "...and then I finished my snow fort, came inside, and ate dinner. The end."

4 comments:

mom said...

Do you want a Davis reply or Stott one? The nice thing is that you all eat together and enjoy each other so much.

Emily said...

I feel like I was there...and I enjoyed the conversation immensely!

Riki said...

Cute story! The Sloans are not talkers at dinner! They like to focus on eating. Very different from our dinner experiences!

Shirley said...

Geez, you guys are hilarious! I love chaos at dinner. Especially chaos that does not include crying. :)

Counter