Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Merry Christmas

Dear Friends and Family,

In the true spirit of Christmas, I am informing you that none of you are getting Christmas cards from me this year.

I have my reasons. My Christmas cards in the past have consisted of a family newsletter with wallet-sized pictures of my children shoved in. This year I realize that if you have been following my blog, you know everything about our family. Probably more than you wanted to know, as I believe about a third of my blog has been devoted to Deacon's toileting issues. I also have no cute pictures to send out, as the pictures of my kids hanging in my home are the same ones that were hanging here last Christmas. I know, my children will be scarred for life without smiling photographic evidence of 2010. I've been meaning to get around to it.

Then there is the issue of gathering addresses. My computer crashed this year, and we were able to save everything except my address book. Which means I would be making a lot of phone calls and emails to try and gather all of your addresses. Which, while that is loads of fun, also takes up a bit of time, and I am naturally lazy.

I have decided that the Christmas traditions I want to continue are the ones that are fun to do together as a family, and not the ones that make me swear at my children. If you've ever had piles of cards and pictures and envelopes spread across the floor, and then got up to answer the phone, you know what I mean.

I realize that the real reason we send out cards is to tell the people we care about how much we love them. I love you all! And instead of spending money on stamps and cards this year to show you, I am spending the money to help others. A donation has been made in your name to the American Red Cross to purchase blankets for disaster victims.

The next time a hurricane or earthquake occurs and you see pictures of victims wrapped in Red Cross blankets, pretend you're reading our Christmas card.

We love you all! Merry Christmas!

Love,

The Davis Family

8 comments:

mom said...

Thank you. That's smart. I've been thinking the same thing because what can we say that's new...and does anyone really care? I DID want to send out the goofy family picture, but I haven't made it to Walmart yet and I forgot how to e-mail them.

Christopher said...

If any one is interested here is the site we used to do this:

redcross.org/gifts

Shirley said...

I love you too Kodie! I really needed a good dose of Davis sarcasm, thanks. :) Great idea to donate the money you would have spent too, that's awesome! Still, with that being said, could you e-mail me your address so I can send you a card? {smooch} ;)

Emily said...

Awsome Christmas card! I love the idea of giving to the Red Cross instead. It's brilliant!

Stephanie said...

Merry Christmas!

Riki said...

I so agree but am still sending out Christmas cards because I ordered them dang it.

Unknown said...

that is such a great idea...I plan on copying you next year!

GG said...

You rock. Merry Christmas! :)
And now that I have said that -- I have had a memory flash of a lot of dancing to "rocking around the Christmas Tree"...

oh and I the "word verification word" to post this is "larfle" which also made me smile ...so I am sharing.

Counter