Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wal-Mart Woes

Wal-Mart makes me grumpy. I spend too much time and money in that store. I feel my blood pressure rising just walking through those doors. So in January, I made a decision--I was done with Wal-Mart. I would send Chris if I needed something vital, but otherwise I would do all my shopping at other stores. I have been Wal-Mart-free since January, and it has been wonderful. But today, I gave in and went back to the blue and yellow devil.

I had just gone to get Deacon's hair cut. (See picture.) I needed groceries, and I was so close to Wal-Mart, that I didn't see the sense in driving clear across town to Winco. I rationalized I just needed a few things, so it wouldn't be so bad.


I started off great. I got the vitals like Barbie band-aids and conditioner, and then headed up the loop towards groceries. Of course Wal-Mart doesn't put groceries next to toiletries, so I had to go by several departments including toys (one Littlest Pet Shop later), shoes (hello football cleats), and clothing. At which point I got sidetracked by a large clearance display of Parker sized shirts. Deacon was screaming at this point, so I held him while searching for size seven shirts, which were thrown together with every other size of shirt in no particular order. But for $2 each, I started sorting and tossing shirts into the cart. Finally, I realized--What the hey-diddle am I doing? I have been in boys' clothing for a good thirty minutes. Aaagh. I had to move on. Get out. On to baby food. Hand Deacon a bottle of Puffs and speed-shop it through grocery with McKay singing a made-up song on the top of her lungs. I was almost done when I realized I was in charge of drinks for Parker's football game. Backtracked but not beaten, I got the juice boxes and headed for the deli to get McKay some popcorn chicken for lunch. Deacon was crying, but I just kept shoving Puffs down his throat. The finish line was in sight. On to the check-out line. I began pulling groceries out of the cart, when I heard an "Oops." McKay had dumped her popcorn chicken all over the floor. So not to be outdone, Deacon took his bottle of Puffs and poured them all over the floor. I asked the cashier to send "one of those sweepy-guys" while I continued to empty my cart. That's when I hit the Parker clearance clothes. I realized my sense of cheapness had overpowered my sense of taste, and I began weeding out some of the clothes. It might only be $2, but a bright green Alvin and the Chipmunks shirt? Really, what was I thinking? "These are hideous," I explained to the clerk. She looked at me like, please, please leave line. Which we did. After I picked up my credit cards that Deacon had tossed onto the floor. $118 and an hour and a half later, I reinstated my original vow never to go back to Wal-Mart again.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Totally sounds like a typical walmart trip for me too. Even though my kids are bigger they still cause a lot of commotion there for some reason.

Anonymous said...

The money and the time spent are all too familiar. Sometimes I leave the store without getting something if I realize I have to walk back to the other side of the store to get it! And then there's dad...the grumpiest shopper of them all! I'm surprised he hasn't thrown my credit cards on the floor yet.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree - we avoid Walmart at all costs! Way too many spontaneous purchases make their way into my cart there. ;) Deacon does look super cute though! :)

GG said...

TOTALLY with all of you one this! Walmart has been nearly free of me for almost three years - right up until this past month or so of way-too-often. AND after the last week or so, During which I ended up there at least three times - I am officially putting it in Chris' court of to-dos if absolutely necessary!
However, I really like my new vacuum - I am anticipating it to truly last what could seem as an Infinity! (=no more excruciating trips to THAT aisle)

Counter