Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mood Swing

Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed--both literally and figuratively. My day started at about midnight when McKay woke up screaming that her ear hurt. She couldn't be comforted and didn't want medicine. "What day is it?" she demanded. "Saturday," I told her. "Aaaahhh! I'm still wearing my Friday panties! I need to change right now!" When I wouldn't let her, she became inconsolable, screaming at the top of her lungs. About this time Parker came into our bed having an asthma attack. After medicating our two children, Chris took McKay down to the couch to sleep with him, so that I could put the, now awake and screaming, Deacon back to sleep. Needless to say, I woke up at six sleepy and grumpy.


My mood didn't improve, because my husband had to attend a work function from 8-10 in the morning, leaving me with three whiney, cranky kids to get ready for Parker's football game. Now sick kids need an extra measure of love and patience, which is exactly what they did not get from me. I won't say that I swore at them, but that's because I've found that screaming, "Damnation!" is biblical and more like quoting scripture than swearing. So I just quoted a little scripture at them when McKay picked up her bacon, flung it across the room and yelled, "I said I wanted a waffle. NOT BACON!" Ahhh, you could feel the love in the Davis house this morning.


But then we arrived at the park for Parker's flag football game, my mood changed. Why is it so fun to watch six year olds play football? I have no idea, but it is. After the football game, we swung over to Chris's parents' condo to celebrate his dad's birthday. McKay was very excited to give her Papa a Strawberry Shortcake DVD and princess crown. So excited in fact, she asked to sleep with the wrapped present the night before. We had fun with family, and then headed over to the Idaho Center to watch a high school state championship basketball game. Chris's cousin's husband (got the connection?) is an assistant coach for the Pocatello team. They lost by one point in overtime. Despite the loss, the game was fun. And now all three kids are asleep, and I am going to go to bed so I can get a good hour of sleep before my children's medication wears off. What a wonderful ending to a horrible beginning.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

It did feel like an amazingly rotten day to be so fun. By the way you forgot the part when Parker was throwing up out side of the Idaho Center after the game...

Cathy said...

You got to love days like that. At least you had good moments too

Counter