Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sad Day

Last Saturday, New Year's Resolution fresh on my mind, Chewie and I decided to go for a run. This lasted approximately thirty seconds before Chewie was too tired to go on. Whew, I thought, I tried to run, but my dog wouldn't let me. This reminded me of another excuse--my dog ate my homework. Perhaps my dog ate my exercise.

Yesterday, we had great plans to finish painting McKay's bedroom. All of her stuff had been dragged into the library. Between Barbie houses and princess dress-ups, you could barely walk through the upstairs. We looked like people who should be featured on Hoarders. As soon as we were done with breakfast, we planned to attack that room with paint, reassemble her room, and let normalcy ensue.

Normalcy appeared to be the enemy of the day, because when I went to feed Chewie after breakfast, I found him laying on his side, struggling to breathe. I knew he was dying. Chris carried him to the van. Drops of blood trailed behind him, and I knew Chewie wouldn't be leaving the vet alive.

The vet pronounced cancer of the GI tract. We made the decision to put Chewie to sleep, but we didn't have to follow through. Chewie died while we were filling out paperwork, and the vet was readying his tools. Everyone was sad, except for Deacon, who didn't seem to get it.

But I was wrong about Deacon. He snuggled up next to me last night and asked, "Mom, would you drive me to heaven, so we can pick up Chewie? He needs to be at our house."

I wish I could, Deacon. I wish I could.

9 comments:

mom said...

It made me cry too. Chewie was such a good old dog. I'm sorry.

Jil said...

poor chewie. what a sad day indeed.

Holly said...

You're going to make me cry! My boys have been begging and begging for a dog, but I just haven't quite given in yet...now I don't know if I can! Maybe when they are a little older. Poor Chewie!

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about Chewy we all remember him. :(

Shirley said...

Poor Chewie! He was such a cool dog.

Riki said...

Sorry to hear about Chewy! That is a sad day!

Emily said...

That's very, very sad, but look on the bright side...at least you don't have to do your New Year's resolution anymore.

Nana D said...

When I heard about Chewie, I felt bad about that meatloaf none of us liked that I sent to feed him. I told Christopher I was afraid I helped do him in. He got a good laugh out of that one. -- It is sad to loose a pet.

Megan said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I just LOVE our pets so much and I just HATE when they are in pain. It's tough when your dog passes away but I wouldn't trade all the good times I've had with my dog for the sadness I feel when they're gone.

Counter