Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Putting Deacon to Bed


Step One: Tell Deacon a story about his birth. Explain that he used to be a baby, but now he is a big boy. Big boys sleep in their beds all night long.

Deacon: "I'm your baby. I'm baby Buzz Lightyear."

Step Two: Tell Deacon to close his eyes and try to sleep.

Deacon: "No. I need my pop gun."

Step Three: Remind Deacon that we do not sleep with guns.

Deacon (tearing up): "But I just need my gun."

Step Four: Sing a lullaby to Deacon.

Deacon: "Shhh, mom."

Step Five: Listen to Deacon talk to himself.

Deacon: "Where's Daddy? Maybe he's under my bed." (Rolls over and peers at crack between bed and wall.) "He's not there."

Step Six: Listen to Deacon pretend snore. Try not to giggle.

Step Seven: Sneak out of room when pretend snores turn into real snores.

2 comments:

Riki said...

Putting Kes to bed is a very similar experience minus the talking to herself! The other day she said, "guess what Mommy? I slept all by myself! (with daddy)" Oh well!

mom said...

Some day he will be a teenager and then your challenge will be waking him up!

Counter