Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Vacation and Stuff



After spending ten days in Utah, I feel like I should write a truly epic post to chronicle our adventures. But I find I have no talent in summarizing big adventures. I only know how to write about the minutia of life. So here's the summary on vacation: It was fun. Thank you friends and family.

Now on to more interesting matters like the price of spilled rice in the Davis house.

This morning I was sitting at the computer paying bills. I was fairly focused on the task at hand; consequently I was completely ignoring my children. Ignoring them until I heard Parker say, "You are in big trouble. Mom!!! Come here!!! Who made this mess?"

>
The mess would be about five pounds of rice that my two youngest children were gleefully spreading throughout the kitchen. I was still fresh from vacation, so my children got to deal with good mom instead of frazzled mom. I handed them two brooms. Two minutes later McKay began whining.

"This is too hard."

"I'll clean up the rice for you. But you will have to do one of the chores I would have done if I wasn't cleaning up the rice."

"O.k."

"I need you to take Deacon's jammies off, sit him on the potty, put a clean pull-up on him, and get him dressed."

"O.k.," she said gleefully, excited to play the "mommy" role.

A minute later she's back, happily showing me a potty full of yellow liquid. (Note to self: Assign McKay the task of potty-training Deacon.) "Deacon didn't want to go upstairs to sit on the potty, so I brought the potty to him."

"That's fine."

"I put it inside the laundry hamper where he was playing and let him sit on it there."

Unconventional. But it worked...

A few minutes later, I came to check on McKay's progress. Deacon hopped over to me. Literally, hopped. Both of his legs were in one hole of his shorts. He did not seem at all concerned about this.

"McKay, we have a problem. Both of Deacon's legs are in one pant hole and for some reason your shirt is off."

"Well, I tried to take Deacon's shirt off, but it was too hard. So I had to teach him how to take his own shirt off by showing him how."

Glancing at my topless son, "You taught Deacon how to take off his own shirt? And you got him to go pee-pee in the potty? You are hired, my dear."

McKay gave me one of her smiles accompanied by her happy little laugh, which literally sounds likes someone saying "heehee."

"Now about pant legs, McKay. Generally, we have two..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Emily could borrow McKay to help potty train Gideon. She thinks outside the box...or should I say inside?

Riki said...

cute story!

Emily said...

Yep, I could definitely use McKay's help! That's so funny.

Jil said...

does mckay hire out? is she ready for babysitting yet?

La Michelle said...

Hi Kodi this is Laura, Emily's sister-in-law. I am so overcome with joy at the creativity of your child. Thanks for sharing this.

Counter