Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sewing

This year I took my birthday money and bought myself a sewing machine. I know sewing is the Mormon thing to do, but I did not get it to aid in my salvation. (Hello--I already canned jam this summer.) I got the sewing machine because of my addiction to Project Runway.

Every week as I watch the contestants create their masterpieces, I can't help but think about how fun it looks and how I could do such a better job than Mila. So I got myself a machine, ready to sew up my own fashion creations.

Now I took cooking and sewing 4-H when I was in the third and fourth grade, so I knew a little something about sewing. This is what I remember--sewing is hell. But an older, wiser Kodie was sure it would be better twenty years later.

I bought myself a pattern at Hobby Lobby. I only picked from certain types of patterns. Those were the ones in the bright yellow and black packaging labeled "Sewing for Dummies." As I began reading over the instructions, I mumbled, "This might be too hard for me." Chris who was listening asked, "What do you need? Sewing for Simpletons?"

So today I pulled out my idiot pattern and $2/yard Walmart fabric and attempted to make McKay a pair of shorts. Halfway through the process I noticed something had gone terribly wrong.

If you can't tell from the picture, half the shorts are sewn right side out and half our sewn inside out.

Oh, Sewing for Simpletons, where are you?

8 comments:

mom said...

People who sew a lot will tell you that making pants is simple. I will tell you that I have had similar disasters!

Emily said...

I understand all too perfectly!

Holly said...

At least you can tell what they are, which is a much better job than I would be able to do! "A" for effort!

Sarah said...

Maybe that should be a new fashion trend half and half I mean people put holes in their clothes on purpose!!!

Cathy Brooksby said...

You can do it. You would be suprised at how much I still have to pick out and re sew. and I have been sewing for 10 years no. Just keep trying.

Brigette said...

That is so funny. I have a dress downstairs for Brooklyn almost IDENTICAL to that. Ah, good times.

Jil said...

It doesn't matter how long you've been sewing, your 4-H assessment is always accurate, sewing is hell.

GG said...

Pants are so deceptive - they seem so simple before starting to read a pattern. I think you've discovered the secret even those yellow/black package people haven't, The pattern writers must not speak even normal people language.

Maybe this post would help... or at least be interesting, it talks about patterns in view of peoples' 4 of the different learning styles. It kind of helped me: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=480. (it is on my post,.... http://linedwithpearl.blogspot.com/2010/03/sewing-tips.html,.. that was created during a frustrating attempt)

I just read this post and was laughing at it as well; so thought I'd share :)
http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_liberated/2010/04/my-problem-is-that-i-dont-wear-lipstick-when-i-sew.html
Now I see why I couldn't even approach my machine last week. AND Now tomorrow is all figured out... First the entire house, me, and then maybe I'll be able to attempt a tiny mending project. ... or not...!

Counter